What It's Like on the Outside

            Let me describe to you what I saw when I went out to visit the grocery nearby. The experience was so surreal that I still can't believe the pandemic happened.


            Anyway, when I got out of the house to leave the confines of the community, all was well. It's the same old thing: typical houses, nosy neighbors, barking dogs, and stray cats everywhere. Also, unlike before, there are only a few trikes picking up passengers within the village subdivision. (You can't even request for a driver to drop by your place or fetch you somewhere anymore. That's because of the high demand for them.) But it's how it was after passing the boom barrier that bothered me.


            In the outdoors, there aren't a lot of people around. Those who are there have face shields and face masks on. Some carry their belongings on their side while others put on knapsacks. When you pass by strangers, they don't even bother to look at you in the eye or have a glimpse of your face. Still, it seems understandable. People, in general, are just cautious because they don't want to be infected.


            Away from the guardhouse, I saw a checkpoint. It had at least four military personnel there. They had full tactical gear. Each time civilians would pass by, some of them would check. Most of them weren't strict, though. They only stopped cars and motorcycles to see the drivers and passengers. When they do talk to folks, they ask for the "quarantine pass" and demand forms of identification.


            Once you get past the checkpoint, there are already vendors waiting. Fruit and vegetable stalls only have few items for sale. It's even hard to buy since those the goods sold aren't in great shape. Retailers also offer fresh eggs and grocery items but only have less to distribute. What hasn't changed is the condition of filling stations. They still had enough customers, though only a few are traveling nowadays.


            I stopped somewhere isolated and took a moment to breathe in some fresh air. I pulled my mask up while no one was around then inhaled deeply. That moment touched me emotionally. I felt privileged to have had the time to appreciate the improved version of the environment. Indeed, pollution has become a lot less.


            In my mind, I thought, "How could these have all happened so quickly?" I remembered seeing strangers and wanting to connect with them. I also recalled the facial expression of the sellers that I met. I saw the desperation in their eyes when they asked me to buy from them and frustration when I declined their offer. Likewise, it felt inappropriate to be happy because the environment was cleaner.


            So that's about it for now. I'll probably tell you more later but I'm not sure I want to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Never Underestimate Your Opponent

Essentials of Effective Task Management

Some Self Defense Thoughts this November 2020